[Dwarf-Discuss] Best Practices wiki

Mark Wielaard mjw@redhat.com
Fri Mar 28 13:37:17 GMT 2014

Hi,

Reading the DWARF5 proposal debug_aranges and address-less CUs
http://dwarfstd.org/ShowIssue.php?issue=100430.2 I saw it said:
"Rejected -- Recommend adding this as "best practice" on the wiki."

I rather see this in the standard as non-normative text to be honest,
but at least documenting this seems a good idea. I looked and found
http://wiki.dwarfstd.org/index.php?title=Best_Practices but there this
issue isn't mentioned yet. Could someone update it?

The suggested text was:

"If a compiler generates .debug_aranges sections, it should generate
them for all compilation units, even when a compilation unit has no
address ranges. This allows a consumer to distinguish between a
compilation unit that has no ranges from a compilation unit generated by
a compiler that does not generate .debug_aranges sections."

Thanks,

Mark