[Dwarf-Discuss] Proposal to add DW_AT_alignment

Mark Wielaard mjw@redhat.com
Wed May 28 14:26:12 GMT 2014

On Thu, 2014-05-15 at 15:29 +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Another thing added in C11 is the _Alignas specifier through which a
> user can request to have a type or object that is stricter than the
> default alignment for the type of object. Existing compilers like GCC
> already allow users to specify the alignment of types and variables
> through implementation specific attributes.
>
> It is useful for debuggers to know the alignment used for an data object
> in case they need to create an object for use with some expressions to
> be evaluated in the inferior and for type analyzers to know whether two
> types are compatible.
>
> The _Alignas request may be zero, which means the object will have the
> default alignment. In which case I think the DWARF should not contain
> the attribute. But we could also explicitly specify that an
> DW_AT_alignment of zero means the default alignment. An object can also
> have multiple alignment specifiers in which case the used alignment will
> be the strictest specified. In which case the object or type should just
> have this strictest DW_AT_alignement constant.
>
> The C11 _Alignas allows both a constant or a type-name (to indicate that
> the object should be aligned as if it was of that type). Since in both
> cases it is the actual constant carries the actual useful information I
> think DW_AT_alignment only needs a positive constant integer form. But
> if people think having a variant that is encoded as type reference form
> is useful then that could of course be added.
>
> Maybe there is already an existing way to express non-default alignement
> of objects and types that I am missing. If not I will write up a formal
> proposal for an DW_AT_alignment that can be added to types and/or data
> objects.

I saw the submission deadline has officially passed, but I wanted to put
up a formal proposal anyway. If not accepted to DWARF5 I will first
implement it as a GNU extensions. But of course even in that case I
would like feedback to make sure the extension is as close as possible
to what might make it into a future standard.

I realized a better way to describe the extra alignment requirements is
to introduce a new modifier type TAG instead of just adding an attribute
to all types and variables. So that is how I submitted the formal
proposal to http://dwarfstd.org/Comment.php: