[Dwarf-Discuss] Question / Proposal: breakpoints at global C++ constructors and destructors

Daniel Gutson daniel.gutson@tallertechnologies.com
Sun Oct 5 16:24:35 GMT 2014

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Michael Eager <eager at eagercon.com> wrote:
> On 10/05/14 08:57, Daniel Gutson wrote:

>>> I don't think that a special DWARF TAG would be required for this.
>>> You could use DW_TAG_subprogram to describe the ctor/dtor routine,
>>> marked with with DW_AT_artificial.
>>

>> It's not a solution, because the problem is not identifying the
>> function (the constructor
>> in this case), but the CALL to the constructor.
>> Why? Because the same class could have several global instances, and
>> non-global
>> (attributes, local) instances.
>> So what is needed is to identify the invoking places.
>

> If what you want to do is break at all constructors/destructors, I

No, not *all*, only for those instances which ar grlobal

> don't see why you need to break at the calling site.

because otherwise I would break in all non-global instances' construction too.

> Can you give an example?

OK:

struct Base
{
    Base(int) {}
};

struct Der: Base
{
    Der(int x) : Base(x) {}
};

Base b1; // break here
Der d1;   // break at d1's ctor body, not during Der::Base construction

int main()
{
   Base b2;  // don't break here
   Der d2;    // ditto
}

--

Daniel F. Gutson
Chief Engineering Officer, SPD

San Lorenzo 47, 3rd Floor, Office 5

C?rdoba, Argentina

Phone: +54 351 4217888 / +54 351 4218211

Skype: dgutson