[Dwarf-Discuss] Is this legal DWARF, and if so, what does it mean?

Ron Brender ron.brender@gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 18:44:58 GMT 2014

1. I am not enough of an C++ lawyer to comment on the meaning of lexical
blocks inside "std". But I don't recall that the formal definition of "std"
has any such blocks--if not, the presence here is either wrong or the
sloppy remains of some block nested in something else that did not get
properly cleaned up. The lack of anything else inside "std" suggests that
some compilation option may be at play to throttle DWARF production but is
not quite consistently applied.

2. As a DWARF lawyer (which is how I earn my big bucks) I would say that an
address range that is not within its containing block is an error. At best
it suggests poor QOI.

What compilation options produce this? The source being compiled does not
affect "std", of course, but does the compiler produce this same
description of "std" for all sources? The real expert, of course, should be
our very own John Bishop...

My 2 cents...
Ron