[Dwarf-Discuss] qualifier modifier type tags vs type signatures

Michael Eager eager@eagerm.com
Thu Sep 25 18:04:35 GMT 2014

On 09/25/14 08:18, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This came up on the gcc list when extending the number of DWARF type
> qualifier modifiers that are handled. But the issue can be shown with
> just const and volatile.
>
> The issue is that there is no ordering constraint on the type qualifier
> modifier tags (they can appear in any order), but the type signature
> computation for type units depends on an flattened ordered DIE tree to
> get the same signature for the same type from different compile units.

The C/C++ languages do not place any ordering restrictions on these
qualifiers (or on a number of other qualifiers).

A DWARF producer is free to generate DWARF in any fashion which
accurately describes the source and compilation process.  If you want
to adopt a 'const' before 'volatile' convention (alphabetical) you
are welcome to do so, but there is no requirement to do this.

> This seems to only cause a missed opportunity of optimizing when using
> type units (the type cannot be merged). But maybe there are more subtle
> issues if the same type from different compilation units create
> different type unit signatures?
>
> Take for example these two compile units, which both define the same
> type struct s, but also have some different types:
>
> 1)
>
> int a;
> const int b;
> volatile const c;
>
> struct s
> {
>    const volatile int i;
> } s;
>
> Here GCC would create a const type that points to an int and a volatile
> type that points to that const type. When constructing the DWARF
> representation of the struct s, it sees it already has a type DIE for
> const volatile int and reuses that. So in this case the DIE chain for
> the s.i type comes out as:
> DW_TAG_volatile_type -> DW_TAG_const_type -> DW_TAG_base_type
>
> 2)
>
> int a;
> volatile int b;
> volatile const c;
>
> struct s
> {
>    const volatile int i;
> } s;
>
> Here GCC would create a volatile type that points to an int and a const
> type that points to that volatile type. When constructing the DWARF
> representation of the struct s, it again sees it already has a type DIE
> for const volatile int and reuses that. So in this case the DIE chain
> for the s.i type comes out as:
> DW_TAG_const_type -> DW_TAG_volatile_type -> DW_TAG_base_type
>
> The result is that the flattened description of struct s as used by the
> type signature computation is different in these two compile units. And
> so the MD5 hash used as signature will differ.
>
> I think what GCC does when constructing the DIE type trees is correct.
> It creates the most efficient type tree in both compile units. To create
> type trees that look the same in flattened form in both compile units it
> would have to add extra type trees (a volatile -> int in one or a const
> -> int in the other) that aren't used otherwise. And it cannot really
> know which ordering is preferred across all compilation units up front.

Alternately, GCC could have a set of pre-computed DIE type trees in
preferred order and use a matching equivalent when it generates DWARF.

> But it is somewhat unfortunate that it causes the type units to come out
> with different signatures meaning they cannot be merged.

This seems to be a Quality of Implementation issue.  If a producer
takes a naive approach to generating DWARF type trees, then the results
(in this case, ability to merge debug data) will be worse than if it
takes a more sophisticated approach.

> What would be the best way to solve this? I see a couple of options:
>
> 0) Don't change anything. It is just a missed optimization.

Yes, it's QoI.

> 1) DWARF could prescribe an ordering to use when multiple qualifiers
> type tags are in used. This might cause producers to create some extra
> type trees if different subsets of type qualifiers are used, but if type
> units are used, it might lead to a couple more types to share the same
> signature.

DWARF is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Both DW_TAG_const_type -> DW_TAG_volatile_type -> DW_TAG_base_type and
DW_TAG_volatile_type -> DW_TAG_const_type -> DW_TAG_base_type are valid
descriptions.

That these both describe the same type in C/C++ is a language issue.
Conceivably there might be a language which does not have this same type
equivalence.

> 2) The Type Signature Computation could be changed to understand that
> type qualifier tags pointing to each other need to be sorted first. This
> makes the algorithm a little trickier, but means less different type
> trees in the compile units.

This would mean embedding an understanding of C/C++ type equivalence
into the type signature computation.  DWARF is intended to be language-
neutral, and, in particular, avoid hidden language dependencies.

> 3) DWARF(v5) could deprecate nested type qualifier modifiers as separate
> tags and replace them with one DW_TAG_qualified_type tag with either
> separate DW_AT_const|volatile|restrict|atomic flag attributes or a
> DW_AT_qualifiers attribute that indicates the combined qualifiers
> (const, volatile, restrict, atomic). That removes the whole ordering
> issues, so it doesn't matter in which order the DIE chain is flattened.

The deadline for DWARF Version 5 proposals passed long ago.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com