[Dwarf-Discuss] DWARF and online-compiled programs (Simon Brand)

Bishop, John E john.e.bishop@intel.com
Thu Jun 9 17:09:35 GMT 2016

--[ quote ]--

I'm writing this email in particular to address the problem of referencing source files in DWARF for online-compiled programs. The issue is that programming models such as OpenCL can often have source generated at runtime,which is compiled online, with its output not written to file. This raises an issue for the compiler: in the generated DWARF, what should it put as the file name of the compile unit and associated line table information?

--[ end quote ]-

I'm inclined to say that in the general case the compiler should create an actual file and use it, but I like the in-the-binary solution for short pseudo-sources.

This would go into V6, right?