[Dwarf-Discuss] DWARF and online-compiled programs (Simon Brand)

Simon Brand simon@codeplay.com
Fri Jun 10 07:48:53 GMT 2016

Yes, although having the compiler create the file is reasonable in many
cases, remote debugging of programs compiled on a device (which is a
strong use-case for us) is more problematic, as the debugger would then
need to download the generated source from the device and place it in
the specified location in the DWARF, fix up the DWARF itself, or some
other non-standard magic. HSA also doesn't mandate a filesystem and
might be used on systems with read-only filesystems, so the scenario
which Paul outlines is a real possibility.

I'm not familiar with the release schedule of the DWARF standard, so you
all would be best to make that call. I read in the mailing list archives
that the v5 deadline is long gone, so I guess v6 would be the target.

On 09/06/16 19:02, Robinson, Paul wrote:

> In principle you could have generated source JIT-compiled on a device
> that has no filesystem in the usual sense, or maybe has one but it
> isn't writable.
>
> Seems like a reasonable approach.
>
> --paulr

Simon Brand
Staff Software Engineer
Codeplay Software Ltd
Level C, Argyle House, 3 Lady Lawson St, Edinburgh, EH3 9DR
Tel: 0131 466 0503
Fax: 0131 557 6600
Website: http://www.codeplay.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/codeplaysoft

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and /or privileged information and is for use by the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Codeplay Software Ltd immediately and delete the message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it, or use or disclose its contents to any other person. Any views or other information in this message which do not relate to our business are not authorized by Codeplay software Ltd, nor does this message form part of any contract unless so stated.
As internet communications are capable of data corruption Codeplay Software Ltd does not accept any responsibility for any changes made to this message after it was sent. Please note that Codeplay Software Ltd does not accept any liability or responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan any attachments.
Company registered in England and Wales, number: 04567874
Registered office: 81 Linkfield Street, Redhill RH1 6BY