[Dwarf-Discuss] Representing the location of smaller values in vector registers

Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
Wed Mar 9 19:25:40 GMT 2016

On 03/09/2016 10:50 AM, John DelSignore wrote:
> I think what you are saying, and I agree, is that the type of a variable is orthogonal to where (or
> how) the variable is stored. DWARF should not muddy the type entries with attributes that attempt to
> describe how a variable is stored somewhere. As I already said, the debugger has to know the ABI
> conventions for the target platforms it supports, and knowing how a float is stored in an XMM
> register, or a char is stored an x86_64 GPR, is part of the ABI specification.

DWARF describes where variables are allocated and their base type.
A base type explicitly describes the size of the type and the
size of its container.

Type representations such as "integer" or "float" are attributes of the
base type, and are orthogonal to descriptions of where the variable
is allocated.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com