[Dwarf-Discuss] Representing the location of smaller values in vector registers

Frank Ch. Eigler fche@redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 02:21:00 GMT 2016

Hi, Cary -

> [...]  We're not discussing "how ABIs tell you how to interpret
> [location lists]". We're discussing whether the consumer is expected
> to turn to the ABI to find out how a smaller value is stored in a
> larger register. [...]

Given that the ABI constraints apply only at function call boundaries,
it's possible that a compiler would choose to store values in a
different way in the function's interior.  For example, it could put
several small scalars into a wider register.

- FChE