[Dwarf-Discuss] Does any compiler implement Split DWARF as described in the current DWARF5 draft standard?

Eric Christopher echristo@gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 23:45:10 GMT 2017

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 2:56 PM John DelSignore <
John.DelSignore at roguewave.com> wrote:

> On 02/03/17 17:29, David Anderson wrote:
> > On 02/03/2017 12:21 PM, John DelSignore wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've been poking around looking for Split DWARF producers. As far as I
> >> can tell, no compiler or tool chain currently implements Split DWARF as
> >> described in the current DWARF5 draft standard. Is that correct?
> >>

> > gcc did it for DWARF4.  I have a couple test objects
> > that were contributed for libdwarf testing.
>
> Are you referring to the vendor extensions GNU added for the DebugFission
> flavor of Split DWARF described here <
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/DebugFission>? AFAIK, the DWARF4 Standard had no
> support for Split DWARF at all.
>
> > It would be...impossible? to have done DWARF5
> > yet since we made major changes in the last few weeks (CU header
> > lengths and contents (contents a bit further in the past),
> > for example).
>
> OK, fair enough. But I guess I'm trying to also figure out where Split
> DWARF is headed. Are all of the producer going to converge on DWARF5
> eventually, and if so when? And in the meantime, is it worth supporting the
> DebugFission flavor of Split DWARF, and where is that headed?

Probably on both. Lots of producers already emit the existing split dwarf
support and while the changes aren't major they're at least "something".

Basically I'd suggest supporting both just on the "there are released
compilers that emit something".

-eric