[Dwarf-Discuss] address pool + offset representation

David Blaikie dblaikie@gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 18:03:43 GMT 2017

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 10:51 AM Doug Evans <dje at google.com> wrote:

> How about a new form that specifies two things: index in .debug_addr +
> offset, where index and offset are any current constant representation
> (fixed size or leb) ?

Roughly what I had in mind - but wasn't sure how to encode that.

Would the type of the representation for each component be encoded at the
use? So this would be a variable length form (even when both the
index+offset use fixed length forms - because the form would be at the use,
so you'd have to read the bytes to figure out that they were using fixed
length forms)?

A two-value version of DW_FORM_indirect, I suppose?

I know the LLDB folks seem to find that fixed-width forms especially help
with parsing - not sure if GDB has a similar tendency/preference?