[Dwarf-Discuss] Semantics of DW_OP_(b)reg

Adrian Prantl aprantl@apple.com
Fri Mar 17 20:18:34 GMT 2017

I have a couple of questions regarding the semantics of DW_OP_reg(x) and DW_OP_breg(x). LLVM's DWARF expression generator (which was written with DWARF 2 in mind) treats DW_OP_breg as synonymous with DW_OP_reg DW_OP_deref, but I get the impression that that may not be correct in DWARF 4+. However, before making any changes to LLVM, I wanted to make sure that I actually understand the semantics correctly.

My understanding is that the presence of DW_OP_stack_value (or DW_OP_implicit_value) is what distinguishes a memory location description (2.6.1.1.2; top of stack is the address of our value) from an implicit location description (2.6.1.1.4; top of stack is the value itself). A location description with only a DW_OP_reg is a register location description (2.6.1.1.3 the value is the contents of the register).

>From reading Section 2.6.1.1, it sounds as if DW_OP_reg should only be used when it is the only operation in an expression. The non-normative text in 2.6.1.1.4 seems to confirm that, but the language is vague and avoids making any reference to the DWARF expression stack:
> These operations name a register location. To fetch the contents of a register, it is
> necessary to use one of the register based addressing operations, such as DW_OP_bregx

What is the effect of DW_OP_reg on the DWARF expression stack? Is it legal to use DW_OP_reg in an implicit or memory location description? I'm asking because it looks like the semantics of DW_OP_reg in terms of the stack are never described, but it is used in an example in Appendix D as part of an implicit location description (DW_OP_entry_value 1 DW_OP_reg1 DW_OP_stack_value).

Assuming that the example is correct, and that it is legal to use DW_OP_reg inside a memory or implicit location description, below are a couple of pointed questions:

Are these two expressions equivalent?
1. DW_OP_breg1 0 DW_OP_breg2 0 DW_OP_plus DW_OP_stack_value
2. DW_OP_reg1    DW_OP_reg2    DW_OP_plus DW_OP_stack_value

Are these two expressions equivalent?
1. DW_OP_reg1     ; is this a register location?
2. DW_OP_breg1 0  ; is this a memory location?

Are these two expressions equivalent?
1. DW_OP_reg1 DW_OP_deref ; is this a memory location?
2. DW_OP_breg1 0

Are these two expressions equivalent?
1. DW_OP_reg1
2. DW_OP_breg1 0 DW_OP_stack_value

Are these two expressions equivalent?
1. DW_OP_reg1 DW_OP_deref DW_OP_stack_value
2. DW_OP_breg1 0

Are these two expressions equivalent?
3. DW_OP_breg1 0 DW_OP_deref DW_OP_stack_value
2. DW_OP_breg1 0

thanks,
adrian