[Dwarf-Discuss] Fission + cross-CU references (ref_addr)

Robinson, Paul paul.robinson@sony.com
Fri May 5 01:22:08 GMT 2017

I think it's pretty safe to say:

-        A reference into a TU from a CU or a different TU is invariably by ref_sig8, never by section offset.

-        A reference into a CU from another CU has to be by ref_addr; in a .o file this can use a relocation, in a .dwo file it has to be from inside the same .debug_info contribution.

-        A reference into a CU from a TU is not allowed, even if the TU lives in the same .debug_info contribution.
I don't have my hands on words in the document that say these things, but I am quite sure that's the intent.  It's not important whether object-file mechanics would allow you to do the things that aren't allowed above.

The rest of what I'm suggesting all follows (reiterating for clarity):

-        If a .dwo file has multiple split-full CUs, they each have a unique DWO ID (so the index can describe them individually).

-        Therefore, the corresponding .o has a distinct corresponding skeleton CU for each split-full CU.

-        Cross-CU references within a .dwo file are by DW_FORM_ref_addr and the related CUs must be in the same .debug_info contribution.

-        Split-full CUs without cross-CU references can be in separate .debug_info contributions within the .dwo file.

-        A packager should look for multiple CUs in a .debug_info contribution, be willing to create an index entry for each one, and not split up the contribution even if one or more of the CUs has already been included from elsewhere.

-        A packager can drop an entire .debug_info contribution if *all* of the CUs in that contribution have been included from elsewhere.  (This trivially covers the one-CU-per-contribution case.)

-        The package index should get a new column to describe the entire .debug_info contribution containing the CU, so that consumers can know how to resolve DW_FORM_ref_addr.

You're probably still thinking of wrinkles I haven't addressed; let me know.
--paulr