[Dwarf-Discuss] Fission + cross-CU references (ref_addr)

David Blaikie dblaikie@gmail.com
Wed May 31 20:36:48 GMT 2017

Pinging this thread & bringing it to the attention of Cary & Doug in case
they've got some thoughts.

I'd love to have some kind of ideas about this to work on an implementation
in GDB (as an extension/prototype).

(don't mean to dismiss Paul's suggestion - and I generally agree with it,
except where it gets a bit difficult when type units are folded into
debug_info (Paul's suggestion requiring some kind of grouping within a
section ("contributions") which seems like a new constraint/detail I
wouldn't think to have here))

On another thread Cary talked about the idea of avoiding ref_addr and
expanding the functionality of DW_FORM_sig8/signature and perhaps
generalizing the type unit header to allow multiple hash+offset pairs. This
is a feature Adrian & I had talked about previously (when looking at the
overhead of type units - the need to duplicate member function declarations
in any unit that has a definition of the member function, since the
specific DIE in the type unit couldn't be referred to from the definition
in the CU) & I think would be great (& would further generalize the unit
header - no need for a difference between TU and CU header, instead have a
"count" & then that many {hash, offset} pairs for referring to any DIEs
from elsewhere). Might not be the perfect solution to the CU->TU
references, since signatures are large-ish. So might require a bit more
care/data/etc.

I'm also not sure/don't think I'd have the time to push that ^ feature, as
much as it is a nice one. Paul's cu_index column extension wouldn't be too
hard to implement, I think.