[Dwarf-Discuss] Fwd: Re: DWARF: Hierarchies of abstract and concrete DIE instance trees

Michael Eager eager@eagerm.com
Wed Nov 22 23:58:47 GMT 2017

On 11/22/2017 02:17 PM, David Anderson wrote:
> "In general, the structure and content of any
> given concrete inlined instance tree
> will be closely analogous to the structure
> and content of its associated abstract
> instance tree. There are a few exceptions:"
> "2. Entries in the concrete instance tree which are associated with
> entries in the
> abstract instance tree such that neither
> has a DW_AT_name attribute, and
> neither is referenced by any other debugging
> information entry, may be
> omitted. This may happen for debugging
> information entries in the abstract
> instance trees that became unnecessary
> in the concrete instance tree because
> of additional information available there.
> For example, an anonymous
> variable might have been created and
> described in the abstract instance tree,
> but because of the actual parameters
> for a particular inlined expansion, it
> could be described as a constant value
> without the need for that separate
> debugging information entry."

This says that entries in the abstract tree may be omitted from the
concrete tree if unneeded.  I don't see this implying that entries
(e.g., lexical blocks) may be created in the concrete tree that do not
exist in the abstract tree.

Michael Eager    eager at eagerm.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306