[Dwarf-Discuss] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: DWARF: Hierarchies of abstract and concrete DIE instance trees

David Anderson davea42@linuxmail.org
Tue Nov 28 19:37:47 GMT 2017

On 11/28/2017  Todd Allen wrote:
> Well,?I?could?bring?up?the?whole?descriptive?vs.?prescriptive?argument?to
> counter?that.??But?I?don't?want?to!
> ?I think this violates the intent of the standard, which was that the
> two?trees
> should match.? If that wasn't the intention, there wouldn't need to be
> wording
> giving?you?permission?to?omit?certain?DIE's.

Well, I'm happy to be wrong on this point.

Allowing  differences between concrete and
abstract other than the specified ones opens
the door to severe concrete/abstract
matching problems. Todd is right: that cannot
have been our intent in creating the standard.

Another point that perhaps should be mentioned
in Errata for DWARF5.

DavidA

--
Fundamentally, there may be no basis for anything. -- slashdot.org