[Dwarf-Discuss] DWARF and source text embedding

Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
Fri Feb 2 01:32:03 GMT 2018

On 02/01/2018 08:07 AM, scott at scottlinder.com wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> In the case where the files are actually available on disk, and the
> source is simply being "cached", the attributes are exactly the same. In
> the case where sources are generated, and so have no true path on disk,
> I would suggest we might just leave the exact meaning to be
> implementation defined; the producer can still provide valuable
> information which will aid in locating where sources originate, such as
> indicating the OpenCL kernel name. Consumers which are unaware of this
> extension will simply fail to find the source (as before), while new
> consumers can at least provide an identifier to distinguish sources.

Implementation-defined generally means that different implementations
will be incompatible.  Incompatible implementations are the antithesis
of a standard.

As a general DWARF principle, there should be no secret understandings
between producer and consumer. There should be no "secret handshake"
such as the one you describe where a producer provides "valuable
information" in some undefined manner usable only by a consumer which
is "in on the secret".  It's not that a different consumer doesn't
implement the extension, it's that a different consumer cannot implement
the extension.

Attributes which have a defined meaning, such as AT_name or AT_comp_dir,
should have a well defined meaning in all circumstances.