[Dwarf-Discuss] Alternate entry points

paul.robinson@sony.com paul.robinson
Tue Oct 23 21:40:18 GMT 2018

On one of the LLVM lists, a question came up about representing alternate
entry points. Fortran and PL/I and probably other languages can do this.

I see DWARF has DW_TAG_entry_point, however the spec is completely silent
on how this entry relates to other entries for the same subprogram.
Should there be one "primary" DW_TAG_subprogram, which then owns the
alternate DW_TAG_entry_point entries?  Or maybe several sibling entries
all with DW_TAG_entry_point, and no primary DW_TAG_subprogram entry?
I don't have a Fortran compiler handy to try this with so I'm curious
what the current state-of-the-practice is (and of course whether this
ought to be spelled out in the spec itself).

Thanks,
--paulr