[Dwarf-Discuss] .debug_frame and the base address

Robert Harris robert.m.harris@oracle.com
Mon Sep 24 16:19:04 GMT 2018

> On 24 Sep 2018, at 16:59, Greg Clayton <clayborg at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Any DWARF expression can contain a DW_OP_addr, which has an address argument, and would need to be relocated.
>>
>> Do you mean that DW_OP_addr's argument should be relocated in all instances
>> of a DWARF expression, i.e. in other .debug_ sections, or just in the context of
>> .debug_frame?
>
> I was specifically talking about DWARF expressions in any .debug_frame info.

Well, that would preclude relocating the *result* of any DWARF expression in
.debug_frame.  For some expressions, e.g. DW_CFA_expression, the use
of the CFA to initialise the stack implies as much but this would be a useful
blanket constraint.

> But in general, yes, any DWARF expression that contains a DW_OP_addr might need a relocation for its address argument.

Are you aware of where in the standard this is documented?  It sounds reasonable
but I'm returning to this after a long time and I don't remember my way around as
well as I used to.