[Dwarf-Discuss] File name encoding in DWARF

Jayvee Neumann jayvee.neumann@gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 13:16:10 GMT 2019

Hello together,

I am trying to consume the file name of a compile unit. Fortunately
DW_TAG_compile_unit has a member DW_AT_name and DW_AT_comp_dir.
Unfortunately it is not clear which kind of encoding is used to store these
strings. I tried around with GCC and clang. GCC under Windows produces
latin1 encoding and clang produces UTF-8. I have not found any information
inside the DWARF debug info on the type of encoding used. Is there a way to
determine which encoding was used? Otherwise, searching for the file on
disk can become a problem.

Kind regards,
Jayvee