[Dwarf-Discuss] DW_AT_segment and relocation

Ron Brender ron.brender@gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 21:12:19 GMT 2019

Jayvee,

If you are dealing with a linear 32- or 64-bit address space then there are
no segments to worry about, so the question is moot. If you are dealing
with a segmented address space, then the problems you describe are exactly
those that debuggers on segmented machine dealt with all the time. Guess
why linear address space "won" as the most common, preferred addressing
method!

As for the scoping problem, you are quite right. My impression is most
DWARF debuggers (the most common kind of consumer) do some kind of simple
initial pass over the DWARF info during startup to build some kind of
auxiliary data structure of its own to help speed dealing with such issues.

Ron