[Dwarf-Discuss] Segment selectors for the range list table.

Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
Thu Jul 16 02:07:07 GMT 2020

Segmented addresses have been in the DWARF specification since Version 2
  and AFAIK have not been changed since that time.  DWARF V5 did not add
any functionality to segmented addresses that was not present in DWARF
V2/3.  At least, there was no intention to do so.  Segmented addresses
are described in Section 2.12.

A segmented address maps into a linear address in a processor-specific
fashion.  AFAIK, only the Intel 8086 and descendants have this
functionality.  (It's a many to one mapping in the 8086 implementation,
but that's a problem for a bygone era.)  There's a reference to i386
memory models in Table 2.7.

DWARF assumes a linear address space.  A segmented address maps to a
specific address in this linear address space.  The entries in
DW_AT_ranges for subprograms with different segment addresses would
usually be referenced by their address in the linear address space.  If
DW_AT_ranges has a DW_AT_segment, this is an indication that the
debugger is to perform the processor-specific computation to translate
the segment-address pair to the linear address.

There is no need to do anything with segments in the line table, since
the line table contains addresses in the linear address space.

There is some (perhaps considerable) confusion in terminology in the x86
world, because the x86 has multiple segment registers which on other
processors would be called base registers.  The values in these
registers reference memory segments and are added to whatever offset is
contained in the program to generate an address.  These segment
registers, and the memory segments which they point to, are NOT the
segments represented by DW_AT_segment.

Re "reading the segment selector" and "addrx encoding":  The addresses
in DWARF DIEs are static, not dynamic.  There is no register+offset
encoding, and processor registers are not read to determine where a
subprogram is in memory.

--
Michael Eager