[Dwarf-Discuss] .debug_addr entry plus offset

Greg Clayton clayborg@gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 21:38:22 GMT 2020

One simple approach would be to be able to represent a DW_AT_low_pc with a DW_FORM_data encoding just like the DW_AT_high_pc does when it is an offset from the DW_AT_low_pc. The value of the DW_AT_low_pc would be an offset from either:
1 - the parent DIE's DW_AT_low_pc (which itself might need to be resolved by looking at the parent scope). If the parent DIE's range is a DW_AT_ranges, then use the lowest address out of all of them.
2 - the first parent DIE with a DW_AT_low_pc that has a DW_FORM_addrXXX encoding.

Solution #1 is nice because it keeps the offset in the DW_FORM_data encoding small since it is always relative to the first parent scope's DW_AT_low_pc. So this could save a lot of space in the DWARF if we use the smallest possible DW_FORM_data encoding all the time.
Solution #2 could be easier as you would traverse parent scopes looking for an address encoding as the DW_FORM.

This would allow DW_TAG_subprogram DIEs to have a single relocation on the DW_AT_low_pc.

Greg Clayton