[Dwarf-Discuss] Split Dwarf vs. CU DW_AT_ranges / DW_AT_low_pc placement

Cary Coutant ccoutant@gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 21:16:24 GMT 2021

> But what about the DW_AT_ranges on the skeleton CU when using split DWARF?
>
> Are you suggesting that both LLVM and GCC's emission is incorrect - and that it's not possible to use rnglistx in the skeleton CU (instead you must use sec_offset for DW_AT_ranges on the skeleton CU)? (& that there's no way to refer to range lists in the .o (debug_rnglists) from the .dwo - all ranges in the split full unit must be in debug_rnglists.dwo?)

If you've moved range lists over to the dwo, having DW_AT_ranges in
the skeleton CU would be pointless ? the consumer would still have to
go find the dwo to get the ranges.

For the case you suggested where it would be useful to keep the range
list for the CU in the .o file, I think .debug_aranges is what you're
looking for.

-cary