[Dwarf-Discuss] Split Dwarf vs. CU DW_AT_ranges / DW_AT_low_pc placement

paul.robinson@sony.com paul.robinson
Thu Mar 11 13:48:04 GMT 2021

Hopefully not to side-track things too much... maybe wants its own
thread, if there's more to debate here.

>> For the case you suggested where it would be useful to keep the range
>> list for the CU in the .o file, I think .debug_aranges is what you're
>> looking for.
>
> aranges?has been off by default in LLVM for a while - it adds a lot of
> overhead (doesn't have all the nice rnglist encodings for instance -
> nor can it use debug_addr, and if it did it'd still be duplicate with
> the CU ranges wherever they were).

Did you want to file an issue to improve how .debug_aranges works?

Complaining that it duplicates CU ranges is missing the point, though;
it's an index, like .debug_names, of course it duplicates other info.
If you want to suggest an improved index, like we did with .debug_names,
that would be great too.
--paulr