[Dwarf-Discuss] debug_aranges use and overhead

Samy Al Bahra sbahra@repnop.org
Fri Mar 19 16:33:57 GMT 2021

Hi David,

Sorry I'm a bit late to the game. On the value of having .debug_aranges and
the performance impact:

Our debugger was designed for performance and does end to end lazy
evaluation (down to the DIE). This is quite old (excuse the formatting) but
numbers are here:
https://engineering.backtrace.io/2014-09-15-bt-lightweight-backtrace-tool/
, search for "Chromium".  This is something other debuggers can take
advantage of if they run in a non-interactive / batch mode (think bulk
processing of millions - billions of dumps a month) and is generally useful
when folks are iterating in development (fast feedback for crashes while
having some background indexing work going on). I'm also happy to run
benchmarks for you with and without .debug_aranges on top of our debugger
if it'll be useful.

One of the crucial optimizations we made is incremental indexing on top of
.debug_aranges based on PC values (+ complexities Greg mentions later in
the thread). In cases where we lack this, we use our own persistent cache
which introduces unnecessary complexity. Now I am considering going as far
as adding a multi-threaded indexer for cases where a persistent cache /
build system modifications aren't an option (work to begin in the next week
or two).

.debug_aranges would provide a lot of value to our users.

Samy Al Bahra [http://repnop.org]