[Dwarf-Discuss] debug_aranges use and overhead

David Blaikie dblaikie@gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 22:37:07 GMT 2022

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 2:24 PM Samy Al Bahra <sbahra at repnop.org> wrote:

> Hi David
>
> I implemented some optimizations in the form of a specialized parser for
> fast AT_ranges scanning and performance is now comparable to lazy
> evaluation through .debug_aranges (only marginally worse assuming buffer
> cache warmed up). We've since shipped with these optimizations. I have to
> do some work in the same code base in March and will run a comparison then
> / share numbers here including after dropping buffers. If you would benefit
> from having them sooner, let me know and I'll make it happen.

No rush - just came across the thread and was curious if there were any
updates/closure/lessons to factor in, etc. I'm glad to hear you ended up
with fairly similar performance - that matches my expectation, that there
aren't some hidden scalability issues here. But yeah, curious to hear more
if/when you happen to have more to share.

- Dave