[Dwarf-Discuss] How to interpret DW_AT_artificial tag?

Ron Louzon louzonr@yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 13:49:40 GMT 2022

I have an application which uses DwarfLib to extract type information from debug executable images.? I have found in the DWARF data that some structure types have a "virtual" pointer added as their first member and this pointer's DIE contains the tag DW_AT_artificial=true.? How does that pointer member affect the offsets of the members that follow it in the structure.? Should this 4-byte pointer be ignored or will its size cause the other structure members to be pushed out in memory by 4 bytes?
thanks,ron