[Dwarf-Discuss] [EXTERNAL] - RE: Multiple floating point types with the same size but different encodings

paul.robinson@sony.com paul.robinson
Tue Jan 25 13:55:40 GMT 2022

John Reagan tells me his message didn't go to the list,
but Jakub quotes it in his reply.  My comments below.

I'd guess that HP-UX got there first, and the VAX-specific ones were added
for OpenVMS later.  NSK had a legacy floating-point format but I don't recall
how we described it.

> If s_float and f_float or t_float and g_float coexist on the same platform
> in the same ABI, I'm afraid DW_AT_precision to distinguish between them,

Did you mean, DW_AT_precision isn't enough to distinguish between them?

> IEEE single has 24-bit significand precision (1 bit implied) and
> it seems s_float does too, and similarly IEEE double has 53-bit precision
> (1 bit implied) and it seems g_gloat does too (d_float has 56-bit
> precision).
> So we'd need also exponent bias (or minimum or maximum exponent)
> to differentiate between them.
>
> 	Jakub

It sounds like ATE codes would be better all around.  We could have a
pile of attributes that parameterize all the things, but that seems
overly general.
--paulr