[Dwarf-Discuss] DWARF bitness in loclists, etc

David Blaikie dblaikie@gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 04:04:41 GMT 2022

On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 2:24 PM Vsevolod Alekseyev via Dwarf-Discuss
<dwarf-discuss at lists.dwarfstd.org> wrote:

> Makes sense, thank you. It's enough for me to go with as far as parsing is concerned.
>
> That said, why bother with the bitness indicator in the ...lists sections at all? I can't imagine parsing them from top to bottom; debugger-type applications normally look up loclists based on DIE data, and a DIE implicitly carries a CU context in it already, bitness and all. Even "dump all loclists" applications (e. g. readelf) don't go by scrolling through the loclists section; it may contain gaps and objects other than loclists (e. g. locview pairs; it's a GNU extension), and is not generally parseable without looking at the DIEs anyway.
>
> As for rangelists, they may overlap. I have binaries to show.
>
> Bottom line, for dumping loc/rnglists one starts by enumerating DIEs, and once you do that, you have enough context to tell the bitness without looking at the CU in loclists header at all.

I can say that llvm-dwarfdump, for instance, does support/work by
dumping sections directly, not only the parts of them referenced from
CUs. Nice to have the headers so you can look at them in isolation -
but, yeah, it does fall down if there are gaps/garbage in between
valid contributions to a section, or those locview GNU extensions.

Before DWARFv5, generally what you're saying is how it works - most
sections didn't have headers, or not adequate headers (eg: debug_line
was missing some things like the bitness, I think? or maybe some other
properties - address size, perhaps) but in DWARFv5 they're mostly
complete (few gaps, like I think .debug_macinfo (or .debug_macro,
whichever one is the new one) doesn't start with a size, but does
encode the 32/64 as a flag - it'd be nicer if it used a length like
everything else, would make it easier to skip unknown version data,
etc)