[Dwarf-discuss] ISSUE: CPU vector types.

Ron Brender ron.brender@gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 20:57:52 GMT 2023

Ben,

I am puzzling over your vector types proposal as well as the Tye proposal
you cite. My impression is that they are hard to distinguish.
The Tye proposal turns CPU vector types into base types while your proposal
keeps them distinct, but then you add this additional class of types to the
base types of operands in all of the types where it matters, in particular
DW_OP_regval_type, DW_OP_deref_type and DW_OP_xderef_type. In both cases
you end up being able to push and pop complete register contents to/from
the DWARF stack. You mention a possible maximum size of 2048 bytes
*currently*, but that seems likely to continue to grow over time.

Is it really important to have all of the vector register contents on the
DWARF stack at one time? What can be done to operate on such
a stack value? Seems like there needs to be at least a way to
DW_OP_reinterpret such a value to/from a sequence of values of the element
type on the stack. (If nothing else, what is the corresponding element
order? IE, does the DEBUG stack grow up or down?😊)

What if we start with the proposal where CPU vector types are not base
types, then instead add operators such as DW_OP_regval_idx_type,
DW_OP_deref_idx_type and DW_OP_xderef_idx_type, each of which adds one
additional parameter, an index, to push or pop a single element of the
vector array. Then a debugger can treat such arrays like all other arrays;
operations generally iterate over the elements in the obvious way.

Among other things, this alternative seems like it would have few if any
problems with SVE or RVV.

At a higher level of discourse, I think it would be unusual for a source
program vector (one-dimensional array) to ever be directly allocated in a
vector register and spend its entire lifetime there, right? Thus, these CPU
vector types should generally also have a DW_AT_artificial attribute, I
think. They might not even have a name but if they did it would be some
kind of pseudo-name (VR@@1 or whatever). Is it expected that users will
need to name these registers directly as part of debugging or is the goal
to make the compiled code use of vector registers as transparent as its use
of general registers?

As I say, I am just puzzling...

Ron