[Dwarf-discuss] gfortran / gcc on Mac puts control characters in N_SO STABS

Adrian Prantl aprantl@apple.com
Thu Mar 14 18:34:36 GMT 2024

The N_OSO stabs entries are indeed added by the linker (https://wiki.dwarfstd.org/Apple's_%22Lazy%22_DWARF_Scheme.md).
Having done a quick scan through the linker sources I was not able to pinpoint the place where this path concatenation is happening.

> FWIW, I have not seen a similar problem with Apple's "cc", which is clang compiler. It does not generate the working directory in the N_SO stabs:

Assuming that that is indeed the root cause, it might be best to modify gfortran to no longer emit N_SO stabs entries in the object file.

Adrian