[Dwarf-discuss] Re: LSB DWARF Chapter

Ron 603-884-2088 brender
Tue Apr 19 08:32:17 GMT 2005

Stuart,

> 	Unless you can tell me differently, the DWARF 3 spec is not
>finalized, so I shouldn't be referencing it in the LSB. What I should be
>saying consistantly, is "DWARF2 with addititions defined here". I'll work
>on cleaning that up, and adding a bit at the very begining that explains
>this up front.

Technically you are correct. On the other hand, the V2 document
is not finished either! It got as far as a public review draft,
which never got reviewed -- work just stopped. So, it does have
the advantage that it is not a moving target but otherwise has no
formal status of any kind (either).

Still, I think Dave's suggestion to better relate your
"addititions [sic :-] defined here" to DWARF V3 is a good idea.
Assuming that you intend that "your" (ELF) additions to be exactly
the same that those in DWARF V3, we think you should say so. And
perhaps even "warn" that when the V3 work is completed it is
hoped that the ELF extensions will be deleted and replaced with a
reference to the DWARF V3 document. (Moreover, such "pressure" will
be a big inducement for us DWARF folks to not change any of those
things that ELF has adopted.)

I have a few other review comments in preparation that I will
send along shortly.

Ron Brender