[Dwarf-discuss] DWARF Issue 050808.2&body=Re: <ahref=http://dwarf.freestandards.org/ShowIssue.php

Daniel Berlin dberlin
Thu Feb 23 19:15:04 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 18:55 -0800, Michael Eager wrote:
> Wu Zhou wrote:
> > Hello, committee members
> >
> > Now that DWARF-3 had been published for a while, can I have the pleasure
> > to re-open this deferred issue?
> >
> > I don't see any action I can do from the net.  So I am asking here.
> >
> > Regards
> > - Wu Zhou
>
> http://dwarf.freestandards.org/ShowIssue.php?issue=050808.2&type=closed
>
> We will consider revisions to the DWARF standard starting mid-year.
>
> The proposal is somewhat vague.  I'm personally unclear
> why there is a need for an new TAG.  Saying Stabs does something
> one way so DWARF should do the same is not persuasive.
>
> Is there a reason why using DW_TAG_entry_point doesn't work?

DW_TAG_entry_point was very specifically pointed out to *not* be the
same as what he is looking for, IIRC.

Though is see in the final version we've listed it as a "fortran
alternate entry point", which i presume has some meaning to fortran
people.

Which is still not the same as the main entry point for a program.

Personally, I think DW_TAG_entry_point should have been the main entry
point for the program (in terms of what the standard function is named
that gets run when you execute the program), and we should have had some
*other* tag to represent fortran alternate entry points, or whatever
they are called.

But it seems too late for that (and it was too late when he first
brought it up, AFAIK).

> Would an attribute work as well?
>
> In general, proposals which have been implemented are preferred.
We specifically put off adding it to GCC to get resolution *first*, so
this is kinda a downer.  Why create the chance that someone will do this
again a different way, when this is a simple issue that could be
resolved once, first?

This is not something we need heavy implementation experience to determine
whether it is useful or not.
But I guess for now, Wu, DW_TAG_GNU_entry_point or whatever should be added.