[Dwarf-discuss] dwarf information for mutiple statements at thesame line.

Michael Eager eager
Thu Jul 13 15:12:58 GMT 2006

Jim Blandy wrote:

>> The other use is as a source unit, for example, a call to any of
>> the functions defined as macros in stdio.h.
>
> doesn't make sense to me, or at least it isn't supported by your
> example.  It seems to me that the 'getc' use in your example is
> exactly like Keith's example --- a simple form of inlined function.
> If there's a lot going on there, you certainly want to be able to step
> through it, just as you would an inlined function.

The difference is that I don't want to step through the details
of implementation code.  The definition of getc() in stdio.h isn't
part of my source; it's part of the implementation.

Whether there is a real function named getc() or it is implemented
as a macro is an implementation decision that should not make a
difference in how I debug my source code.

(Obviously, if my intent was to debug stdio.h, then I would have
a different viewpoint.)

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com