[Dwarf-discuss] dwarf information for mutiple statements at thesame line.

Daniel Jacobowitz drow
Thu Jul 13 18:41:13 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 08:12:58AM -0700, Michael Eager wrote:
> The difference is that I don't want to step through the details
> of implementation code.  The definition of getc() in stdio.h isn't
> part of my source; it's part of the implementation.
>
> Whether there is a real function named getc() or it is implemented
> as a macro is an implementation decision that should not make a
> difference in how I debug my source code.
>
> (Obviously, if my intent was to debug stdio.h, then I would have
> a different viewpoint.)

Precisely.

Periodically someone suggests "solving" weak debugger support for
debugging inlining by offering compiler options to suppress information
for inlined functions which come from system headers.  I think this,
like that, is exactly the wrong way round from an implementation
perspective: the debugger should be able to offer this choice.  Both
for macros and for inlined functions.

A wise and friendly debugger would probably use the default of hiding
things from system headers, and you'd get exactly what you've asked
for.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery