[Dwarf-discuss] New DW_LANG value request for Ada2005

Joel Brobecker brobecker
Thu Jun 22 16:52:01 GMT 2006

> >What I propose is to add DW_LANG_Ada2005 with a value of 0x0014
> >(seems to be the next available value).
>
> Can you tell us (very briefly) what the differences are?
> In particular, are there DWARF constructs which would be interpeted
> differently depending on whether the lanugage value is DW_LANG_Ada95
> or DW_LANG_Ada2005?  Are there things that a consumer (a debugger)
> would do differently with this information.

Actually, we don't know of any construct that would need to be handled
differently based on the language version. With this simple realization
in mind, it's probably best to hold off on the addition of Ada2005 for
now. No need to create everyone extra work when we can still use the
LANG_Ada95.

I am thinking that me might want at a later date ammend the standard
to make it explicit that LANG_Ada95 covers both Ada 95 and Ada 2005.
We about to start enhancing our compiler to generate pure dwarf, so
when we're done, we'll have a better idea of how viable this is.
We have a good idea now, but it's mostly based on studies, not actual
implementation.

--
Joel