[Dwarf-discuss] register name operators

David B. Anderson davea
Wed Nov 15 16:47:57 GMT 2006

Marcel Mettes writes:

>The statement that these DW_OP_reg have to be used "Each register name
>operator must be used alone (as a DWARF expression consisting of just
>that one operation)." seems to conflict with the examples given below in
>2.6.5:
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>DW_OP_reg0
><http://tsw.tasking.nl/doc/dwarf/dwarf3/Dwarf3-20051220.htm#DW_OP_reg0> DW_OP_piece
><http://tsw.tasking.nl/doc/dwarf/dwarf3/Dwarf3-20051220.htm#DW_OP_piece> 4
>DW_OP_piece
><http://tsw.tasking.nl/doc/dwarf/dwarf3/Dwarf3-20051220.htm#DW_OP_piece> 4
>DW_OP_fbreg
><http://tsw.tasking.nl/doc/dwarf/dwarf3/Dwarf3-20051220.htm#DW_OP_fbreg> -12
>DW_OP_piece
><http://tsw.tasking.nl/doc/dwarf/dwarf3/Dwarf3-20051220.htm#DW_OP_piece> 4
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>This expression was valid in DWARF 2.0.0. Can I still use complex
>expressions with DW_reg register name operators?

DW_OP_piece, DW_OP_bit_piece are very special.
In effect these two composition operators 'separate'
distinct DWARF expressions.

The wording (in 2.6.2, perhaps) needs a change/clarification to reflect
this special-ness.
The right wording does not occur to me right now.

The example is still valid, IMO.

David Anderson