[Dwarf-discuss] dwarf ver3.0: prologue_end and epilogue_begin bits

Ron Brender ron.brender@charter.net
Mon May 21 11:59:17 GMT 2007

The prologue beginning and ending location are compiler code generation
artifacts that do not correlate usefully with line number. For example,
the same source might be input as

     void foo (...) {...}

or

     void
     foo (
         ...)
     {
     }

The compiled code, hence the begin and end prologue addresses, will be
identical, but the line numbers will vary. The "normal" line-address
correlation will naturally associate a line number with those same
instructions--unrelated to the fact that they are begin or
end prologue related; that is expected.

Ron