[Dwarf-Discuss] name lookup w/ using directives

Kendrick Wong kendrick@ca.ibm.com
Thu Aug 21 19:43:29 GMT 2008

Jason wrote:
> The DWARF has the same nesting information as the source code; the
> consumer can use the same algorithm as the compiler.  I don't think we
> want to encode standard lookup rules in the debugging information;
> better to put that in one place in the debugger rather expand the
> debugging information for every occurrence of a using-declaration.

I still have some reservation about building dependencies on the C++
language rules into DWARF.  All of the other TAGs that I am aware of, are
language independent, so a DWARF consumer don't have to worry about the
language and still be able to interpret the DWARF data correctly.

The DW_TAG_imported_module seems to break this rule.  For Fortran, the
namespace is imported immediately.  For C++, the namespace is imported at
a later time, not to mention all the other intricacies regarding common
enclosing scope.  From this point of view, I really think C++ using
directive needs a different tag.

Thanks,
Regards,

Kendrick Wong
z/OS C/C++ Compiler
Common Debug Architecture
C2/YGK/8200/MKM
kendrick at ca.ibm.com
Office:905-413-2865 Fax:905-413-4839 Tie:313-2865