[Dwarf-Discuss] name lookup w/ using directives

John DelSignore jdelsign@totalviewtech.com
Thu Aug 21 20:09:56 GMT 2008

I don't know what the right answer is here, but I can tell you what we do in TotalView.

The DWARF information, is translated to our internal symbol table format during what we call "incorporation" time. The symbol table incorporators build data structures that are pretty much language neutral, but the incorporators do in many cases do have to know about language, the compiler vendor, and sometimes even compiler version. In a prefect world, we wouldn't need to know so much about what individual compilers and compiler versions do, but since we live on Earth, we do.

Anyway, as I said, the symbol table incorporators build data symbol table structures that are pretty much language neutral, but each file scope knows its language (C, C++, Fortran 77, Fortran 9x, Assembler, etc.), and most symbols are descendants of file scopes. When symbol table lookups happen, they use the language rules of the language for the enclosing lookup scope. In fact, the debugger core client code calls a method named "find_by_language_rules", which delegates to language-specific lookup functions like "find_by_cplus_language_rules", "find_by_f9x_language_rules", etc.

So, I think that it's not true that we need a different tag for the C++ using directive. The fact that the DWARF tag is doing double duty for C++/Fortran doesn't really matter to TotalView, and TotalView gets it all correct today. What really matters to us is getting accurate compilation unit language and compiler vendor/version information. If we have that, we can work out the semantics of what a particular tag, such as DW_TAG_imported_module, means.

Cheers, John D.