[Dwarf-Discuss] name lookup w/ using directives

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Fri Aug 22 19:28:13 GMT 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 03:19:15PM -0400, John DelSignore wrote:
> > Taking a simpler case, where there is no parameter on the function call:
> >  a C++ function has inlined a Fortran function.  In the debug
> > information, data structures used by both functions are brought together
> > into a single compilation unit.  The compilation unit is now made up of
> > two different languages.
>
> Wait a tick... How the heck can that happen? It implies that a
> single compilation unit can contain multiple languages, which I
> though was not possible.
>
> What is bringing things together? Do you have a compiler that is
> capable of compiling multiple languages in the same compilation
> unit? Or do you have a smart linker that is capable of inlining
> functions at link time? IIRC, the AIX linker could do this with C++
> code, and it got it right most of the time.

I assume xlC can do this - and I expect that GCC will be able to do
it, sometime in the next two years.  Cross-language inlining is one of
the goals of the GCC "LTO" project.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery