[Dwarf-Discuss] PROPOSAL: Constant expressions in location lists

Frank Ch. Eigler fche@redhat.com
Fri Jan 4 21:28:47 GMT 2008

Hi -

I just joined the list to rescussitate an old thread from June last
year [1].  I work on the systemtap project, and we are avid consumers
of DWARF data accompanying highly optimized binaries.  I bring it up
because we are starting to encounter real-world cases where variables
are optimized away from addressable locations, but can nevertheless be
readily rematerialized for debugging purposes.  Having a
DW_OP_computed_value (or extension of DW_OP_implicit_value) of the
sort Roland proposed would be a good fit to expose this data.

- FChE

[1] http://lists.dwarfstd.org/private.cgi/dwarf-discuss-dwarfstd.org/2007-June/000483.html