[Dwarf-Discuss] Inconsistency in DWARF length escape codes

David Anderson davea42@earthlink.net
Sat Jan 5 17:19:58 GMT 2008

Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
>    There appears to be an inconsistency in the DWARF3 specification for the
> range of values that can be used as escape codes in the initial 4-byte length
> field of some headers:

M. Eager's observations are correct.

It is a typo.  My original intent was to allow 16 escape values
on the basis it was no more of a problem
for producers and consumers than allowing 1 value.

I had no specific meaning in mind for the 'other 15' values
than 'just in case it turns out to be useful'.

Only one escape value has a specific meaning, the other 15
are therefore undefined .

DavidAnderson