[Dwarf-Discuss] DWARF for DSP like processors with multiple memories

Anthony Berent anthony.berent@arm.com
Mon Nov 24 18:45:37 GMT 2008

The problem I see with this is that we need to record two things for a
pointer variable; the memory containing the variable, and the memory it
points to. DW_AT_segment is already in use for the describing the memory
containing the variable, so we can't use this for describing the memory
pointed to. A possibly theoretically correct solution would be to include
this in the pointer type description, rather than the variable description,
but I can't see a way of doing this in DWARF (DW_AT_segment isn't legal in a
type description).

> > 4.	Is there any way of describing in DWARF which memories
> contain the
> > stack? I can't see any way of including segment information
> in DWARF 3
> > call frames, and, if I am reading it correctly the DWARF 4 draft I
> > have seen this only supports segment information in the PC
> value in call frames.
> >

> Unclear to me what the previous sentence means (after the
> second comma).

Sorry I was unclear; the DWARF 4 draft allows a segment selector in
DW_CFA_set_loc, but, if I am reading it correctly, this is a segment
selector for the referenced target address, not a segment selector for the
call frame itself. As far as I can see there is no way of specifying a
segment (or segment calculation) for the call frame or for any of the
registers in the call frame.

> I don't have an answer to the question above.
> > 	*	I say memories (plural) because some ARM Data
> Engines only
> > allow certain registers to be saved in particular memories, so we
> > sometimes need multiple stacks.
> >

> Hmm.  No idea what to do about that, offhand.
>
> > Many thanks for any advice anybody can give.
> >

> Do let  us know (via dwarf-discuss) how it all goes.
>
> Regards,
> David Anderson.

Thanks for your help, and I will let you know how it goes

- Anthony