[Dwarf-Discuss] dwarf_siblingof() failure

Ron Louzon louzonr@yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 21:05:45 GMT 2008

I am using version 8/18/2008 of the DWARF library.  My object file is generated from a GNU compiler and it is in DWARF 2 format.

The DWARF Library correctly finds all of the compilation unit DIEs in my object file.  It also correctly finds the first child DIE under each compilation unit.  There is a problem when I try to get the siblings of any of those child DIEs.  I am using the dwarf_siblingof() call to retrieve the sibling and this call always fails with DW_DLE_NEXT_DIE_PTR_NULL.

Is there another way to get the next sibling of a DIE?  Why does this call fail?  I have successfully used this with object files generated by Mercury compilers but something is different with this GNU output.

I really do not know how to get around this problem.  Help!

Thanks,
Ron