[Dwarf-Discuss] OpenMP back-traces

Chris Quenelle Chris.Quenelle@Sun.COM
Tue Jan 6 16:59:30 GMT 2009

If the debugger wants to support nested parallel regions,
then the relationship cannot be described statically
via PC locations.  Imagine your example if there are
threads M and M2 which each have two helper threads.
M and M2 will be in the same function, at the same spot,
and you won't know which one owns which helper thread.

The Sun compiler provides a libmtsk_db library that
can be used by a debugger at run time to query the
parent/child relationships in a running process or
core file.

The Sun compiler uses dwarf to describe the static
relationship between an original function containing
a parallel region, and the "outlined" artificial
function that's created to contain the body of
the loop and be the starting location for the
helper threads.

More details are here:
http://mediacast.sun.com/users/Chris_Quenelle/media/Sun_Dwarf2_Extensions.txt

--chris