[Dwarf-Discuss] Obtain DIE based on physical file offset

David Anderson davea42@earthlink.net
Sat Jul 25 17:17:05 GMT 2009

Florian Weimer wrote:

>> The .debug_line section relates program counter values to
>> source file and line.
>>

> I haven't implemented it yet, but it looks doable.  Thanks.
>
> I'm currently struggling with a way to obtain the function name for a
> PC value.  This seems to be somewhat difficult because the DIE can be
> nested, and PC range information and function name information are
> sometimes split across multiple DIE.  (I think I got it working for
> top-level functions, but not for C++ class members.)

To get the entire parent-child relationship of class members  given classes
and derived classes you will quite  possibly have to read an entire
compilation-unit's worth of DIEs and build some sort
of internal data structures for yourself.  Possibly other CUs too
(though not usually).   You already realized that, I gather.
No, there is no easier way.

David Anderson