[Dwarf-Discuss] Help on _start and start function

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe@elis.ugent.be
Sun Jul 26 09:43:11 GMT 2009

On 26 Jul 2009, at 09:35, Arnab Ganguly wrote:

> One small help is requested. How do I get the _start and start
> function
> information from the DWARF file in Mac OSX.
>
> I developed a address to symbol tool . On basis of the program
> counters it
> gives the file name, line number and the function name, It works
> perfectly
> but  when the addresses are for _start or start functions I am not
> able to
> get the function name, which I get it in the Apple crash report when I
> compare.How can this be achieved by parsing the DWARF file ?

There is no DWARF (or other debug) information for those functions.
Apple's crashreporter falls back to looking up the object's symbol
table information if no debug information is available.

See, a.o., "man Mach-O" and http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/MachORuntime/Reference/reference.html

Jonas