[Dwarf-Discuss] DW_TAG_formal_parameter [history]

David Anderson davea42@earthlink.net
Mon Jun 8 15:11:17 GMT 2009

Stoyan Shopov wrote:
> Ok, here is a somewhat minimalistic code sample exhibiting the problem:

> I think it is strange for a formal parameter to be a descendant of a lexical
> block die. Also, the func1() subprogram seems to be, what is termed in the

Around 1991  when the lexical block tag's definition was considered
for DWARF2
the issue arose as to whether the formals should be inside or outside
any TAG_lexical_block or if the user outermost
level code should be inside or outside any TAG_lexical_block.
(this was before the DW_ prefix to names was decided on).

Consensus was reached quickly to *not* have an 'outer'
lexical block containing the formals.  [Thus agreeing with you, Stoyan.]

Nor an outer block to contain
the outermost generated code (which lead to various ad-hoc debugger
techniques to know where user code started and eventually
lead to the DWARF3 definition of prologue_end in the line table).

At least that's how I remember it.
David A.